Announcements & Important Course Information
- Welcome to Organic Chemistry 2 for Science Majors - CHEM 235 / 238
- Course syllabi for Fall 2015:
- These documents are for reference only and do not print. Course exam dates may still change. Please check back for the printable final version prior to the start of classes.
- CHEM 235: Our first lecture will be on Monday, August 17 at 10:10am in 7-304. We will briefly cover course requirements on the syllabus and begin our first lecture/discussion.
- CHEM 238: Our first laboratory meeting will be on Tuesday, August 18 at 1:10pm in 7-341. We will cover safety, have our first lab lecture, and check into lab drawers on this day.
- Required Lecture Textbook (CHEM 235): The required course text, Organic Chemistry, 4th ed. by Janice Gorzynski Smith, is available as a custom edition in the Skyline College Bookstore. It is bundled with the Study Guide and Solutions Manual. I highly recommend buying this set. The solutions manual includes complete solutions to all of the questions in the text. The reading and questions assigned from the text will be one of your key means of study and preparation for the course and exams.
- Laboratory Manual (CHEM 238): The CHEM 238 Laboratory Manual will be available online through the WebAccess site for the course. A direct link is available on the LABORATORY page.
- Review & Getting Started:
- The lecture course will start with an intensive review of Organic Chemistry 1:
- We will review substitution, elimination, addition, and acid-base reactions with a focus on mechanisms, predicting products, stereochemistry, regioselectivity, and retrosythetic analyses.
- Please see the LECTURE page (link to the left) for reading assignments and book problems from Chapter 9,10, and 11. These chapters will be the focus of our review. You may want to get a jump start for the class by reviewing these chapters and working the assigned problems from the reading sections.
- I recommend that you review the other textbook chapters relating to CHEM 234 topics (1-8) to review bonding and molecular structure, nomenclature, stereochemistry, and acid-base chemistry.
- For additional review and practice, you can find Extra Practice Worksheets on the LECTURE page from CHEM 234 for Spring 2015.
- Sapling Learning Online Homework System
- Please sign up for the Sapling Learning Online Homework System. Graded problem sets will be assigned on this service.
- Please visit the links to the left for other information related to the courses. The website will be the primary way that I will provide materials and communicate information to you outside of class time. Check back regularly - there will be frequent updates.
- Academic integrity is an important issue in all academic settings, and will be taken very seriously by the instructor of this course, and the college generally. This topic will be addressed in detail in the first week of classes in lecture and in lab.
- I recognize that most students conduct themselves with honesty and integrity. I also recognize that the actions of a few dishonest students and the impact of those actions on the academic process necessitate a frank and ongoing discussion of this issue.
- Please review the Student Handbook information on Academic