CHEM 238 Laboratory Information
- GC Data - Elimination Reactions
Spectroscopy and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
- NMR Notes
- Introduction and 1H Spectral Analysis
- Infrared Spectroscopy Review Notes
- Problem Sets
- Problem Set #1 (provided in class)
- Problem Set #2
- Note: In the case of alcohols on these problems, the alcohol proton is NOT coupled to the H’s on adjacent C’s due to H-bonding. Therefore the O-H proton does not participate in the splitting pattern, and itself appears as a broad singlet.
- Example: Ethanol (CH3CH2OH):
- The O-H proton is NOT coupled to the -CH2- protons in the structure
- The signal for the proton on the oxygen is a broad singlet.
- The methyl and methylene group give the typical splitting pattern of an ethyl group, showing no influence of the OH proton.
Previous Semester Lab Tests and Current Semester Lab Test & Quiz Answer Keys
- Current Semeter - Please check back
- Fall 2011 Lab Test #1
- Answer Key
- Note: the LR was not correctly marked, though the correct Limiting Reagent was used in the solution.
- Fall 2011 Lab Test #2