The Tutor's Code of Conduct
After working on this chapter, you should be able to...
- Print this page
- Read the list of Learning Goals
- Do the Journal writing assignment before reading the
- Read Tutor Tutor's web pages on the "Tutor's Code of Conduct"
- Respond to the Study Questions
In your Journal, write a one (or two) paragraph response to each of these questions:
- discuss the value and strategy of planning tutoring sessions and being on time for them
- describe the value of maintaining confidentiality and professional boundaries
- discuss what it means to respect students as persons.
- describe the importance of focusing attention on the student's needs and providing an
emotionally safe learning environment
Respond to each of these questions in your Journal:
- Describe three things you will do that will communicate to your students that you are serious
about the tutoring process and the tutoring relationship
- How will you work successfully with students who possess characteristics and behaviors you
do not like?
- How will you feel if one of your students does poorly in the course for which you are
tutoring him or her?
- How will you approach tutoring someone whom you assess is woefully underprepared or
unable to do college work.
- How will you manage tutoring a student who either is your friend or becomes a friend
through the course of tutoring?
- What does it mean to "have a plan" for a tutoring session "but be flexible?"
- Imagine that you are tutoring a student, and another tutor in your program, who is tutoring
the same student in another subject, approaches you to discuss that student's learning issues.
What would you say/do?
- A student tells her tutor that she has no place to study for an upcoming exam and asks if she
can study at the tutor's house.
- What are some possible consequences of the tutor agreeing to this request?
- What are some possible consequences of the tutor not agreeing to this request?
- What is an emotionally safe learning environment and why is it important for a tutor to
provide students with one?